Fayad Law, P.C.
(919) 249-6904
A Nation of Immigrants
Find out why you should hire us. Avoid deportation by hiring our expert attorneys Read our client testimonials
Contact Us For a Free Consultation
Visit our Blog
Sign up for our newsletter
Practice Areas
601A/601 Waivers
Deportation & Removal
Family Immigration
Employment Immigration
Business Immigration
Green Cards
Nonimmigrant Visas
Asylum or Refugee Immigration
Naturalization & Citizenship
Criminal Defense & Immigration
Family Law & Immigration
Receive our newsletter! ¡Reciba nuestro boletín!
For Email Newsletters you can trust

North Carolina Green Card Attorney

Lawful Permanent Resident Status

"Green card holder" has become a common term for an immigrant who has lawful permanent resident (LPR) status in the United States due to the green-colored identification card they receive as proof of their legal immigrant status. Green cards can be obtained in a number of different ways, the most common of which are through family, employment, consular processing, and obtaining refugee or asylee status. Permanent residence can also be obtained by applying for a change from nonimmigrant to immigrant status.

Who is eligible to obtain a green card?

Eligibility for LPR status varies depending on how the immigrant desires to obtain the visa. If they are the immediate family member of a U.S. citizen or LPR who is sponsoring their immigration, then they are eligible according to preference. Only a certain number of visas may be issued each year, which means that immediate family of citizens and LPRs have priority, while extended family members are required to wait longer. Priority workers (EB-1 visas) also have first preference in employment-based immigration, while skilled workers, special immigrants, and others must wait longer until a visa number becomes available.

Applying for a Green Card

For family visa applicants, the family member in the United States must file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, after which the foreign family member must file a Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status. For employment visas, the U.S. employer (who must have labor certification) must file a Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker before the worker may file for permanent residence. Additionally, any nonimmigrant residing in the U.S. can file a Form I-485 to adjust their nonimmigrant status to that of a permanent resident.

Speak with an Immigration Attorney in North Carolina

Fayad Law, P.C. can counsel you through the process of applying for a green card. It is a long and difficult process that requires a great deal of patience, but our legal team will stay by your side from beginning to end and work relentlessly to speed your case to completion. Our Raleigh immigration lawyers are members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association and, having different immigration backgrounds, they understand the importance of family unity and the pursuit of the American Dream. We serve clients throughout North Carolina and Virginia, as well as in Washington, DC and globally. Contact our firm today to learn exactly what we can do for you.

Internet Marketing Experts The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.
Fayad Law, P.C. - North Carolina Immigration Lawyer
Located at 2840 Plaza Pl Raleigh, NC 27612. View Map
Phone: (919) 249-6904 | Local Phone: (919) 294-8032.